Scale / move / rotate several objects / faces / vertices based on an image, attractors, or a mathematical formula (power or sine / cosine)
This extension contains a set of tools to scale / move / rotate several objects / faces / vertices based on an image, attractors (other objects in proximity), or a mathematical formula (power or sine / cosine). Many parameters are available to tailor each tool to achieve a specific solution. This extension combines several of my scripts from my book and tutorials on sketchupfordesign.com and makes them available in a single package.
Specifically, these tools are available:
- Transform Objects by Image
- Transform Objects by Attractors
- Transform Objects by Power Equation
- Transform Objects by Sine/Cosine Equation
- Push/Pull Faces by Image
- Move Vertices by Image
See the screenshots below for examples of what can be done with this extension. You can use image data to modify your designs and/or employ a simple mathematical equation to drive parameters in one dimension or all three.
This extension’s functions can be accessed via the Tools > Scale By Tools menu item or its toolbar:
Since each of these tools operates on different things, at least one of the following must be selected before the tool is started. A reminder will be shown when that has not happened.
- Transform Objects by Image: Select several objects (groups or component instances) first. You will be asked to select the image second.
- Transform Objects by Attractors: Select several objects (groups or component instances) as well as one or more components named “A” first.
- Transform Objects by Power Equation: Select several objects (groups or component instances) first.
- Transform Objects by Sine/Cosine Equation: Select several objects (groups or component instances) first.
- Push/Pull Faces by Image: Select several faces first. You will be asked to select the image second.
- Move Vertices by Image: Select several edges (and faces if connected) first (their vertices will be moved). You will be asked to select the image second.
If you select other items than those requested, then those will simply be ignored.
Did you find this extension useful? Contribute to its development with any amount (via PayPal):
Screenshots and Videos
Show Off Your Work
Did you create something amazing with this extension? I would love to see it! You can either upload an image in the comment section below (public) or privately send it to me.
Extension Terms and Conditions
BY INSTALLING, ACCESSING OR USING THIS SOFTWARE, YOU (THE USER) AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AS PROVIDED BELOW.
This is free software, provided under the GPL license (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html).
(c) Alexander Schreyer, alexschreyer.net
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THIS SOFTWARE.
WHERE APPLICABLE, THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS AND THIRD-PARTY PLATFORMS ARE PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND THE USER OF THIS SOFTWARE ASSUMES ALL RISK AND LIABILITY REGARDING ANY USE OF (OR RESULTS OBTAINED THROUGH) THIRD-PARTY MATERIALS OR THIRD-PARTY PLATFORMS.
You can now find this extension in Trimble’s Extension Warehouse. For an easy install (and update notifications), browse to it from inside SketchUp (2013 or newer) and install it directly.
Linked below are the installation files (RBZ and ZIP formats) for the current and some previous versions of this extension.
- Version 1.1.3 (7/13/2020):
– Added warning for pre-2018 users
– Added missing toolbar icons (mac, old win)
– Distance parameter now converts as length
– New function: Scale by attractors
– Attractor/image/equation transformations are now based on component/group coordinate system
– Made this clearer in the dialogs, too
– Fix for inch-saving bug in preferences
- Version 1.0 (7/2/2020):
– Initial release