ALEXANDER C. SCHREYER
M.A.Sc. (Wood Science – University of British-Columbia, Vancouver, Canada)
Dipl.-Ing. (B.S. Civil Engineering – Hochschule RheinMain, Wiesbaden, Germany)
Alex Schreyer is a Senior Lecturer II and Director of the Building and Construction Technology (BCT) program at the University of Massachusetts (UMass) in Amherst, MA. He teaches courses in BIM (Building Information Modeling) and 3D CAD (Computer-Aided Design), building materials and construction methods, wood properties, 3D printing, as well as a capstone graduate structural design class in the M.Arch. architecture program.
Combining backgrounds in structural engineering, wood science and digital design, Mr. Schreyer’s interests span the entire range of planning, design, and execution of buildings and structures. He specializes in the design and construction of mainly heavy-timber type (e.g. glulam and CLT) structural systems. This is complemented by an extensive background in technology applications and web-based solutions in structural engineering, construction and architecture.
In his research, Mr. Schreyer focuses on the behavior of wood-based structural systems with a particular interest in innovative connection systems for wooden structures. Other foci are digital approaches in design and fabrication, structural optimization, as well as interactive web-based solutions.
Mr. Schreyer is the author of “Architectural Design with SketchUp”, which provides a beginner- to intermediate-level overview of various techniques to “do more” with the popular 3D modeling application Trimble SketchUp. He is also co-author on the widely-used reference and textbook “Fundamentals of Residential Construction”, which provides a complete overview of the materials and methods used in single- and multi-family residential construction. Both books are published by John Wiley & Sons.
- Teaching and Curriculum Development
- AEC/CAD and BIM Modeling and Architectural Visualization
- Computational Digital Design
- Digital Fabrication, 3D Printing
- Digital and Web-Based Tools in Architecture, Construction and Planning
- Building Materials & Construction Methods
- North American and European Structural Design Standards and Building Practices
- Design of Wood Structures
- Wood-Concrete Composite Structural Systems
- Connections in Heavy-Timber Structural Systems
- Optimization Approaches in Design
- Web Development and Social-Media Outreach
- Software- and Script-Development
- Graphic Design
You can send me an email using my contact form.
3D Warehouse – Amazon – Facebook – Flickr – Google+ – GitHub – Instagram – LinkedIn – Research Gate – SelectedWorks – Shapeways – Sketchfab – Spreadshirt – Thingiverse – Twitter – Vimeo – YouTube – Zazzle